July 8, 2008 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council

DRAFT Minutes:  7/8/2008

 

Present:  George Effrem, Rosemary Lundell, Barb Stevens, Mari Taffe, Todd Wildermuth, Rhea Sullivan (Co-Coordinator), Betsy Hodges (Councilmember)

 

Administrative Items

 

Secretary’s Report

  • The minutes of the June 10, 2008 WCNC meeting were approved.

       Treasurer’s Report

  • $481.09 in NRP Development account; $2,028.87 in NRP account.  

 

Monthly Updates

 

Council Member comments

  • Betsy reported that Robert Lilligren is the Council representative on the SW Corridor LRT planning.  She is planning to meet with him.
  • The NRP Work Group gave their report in June.  They are still fine-tuning recommendations.  They will make final recommendations on July 24.
  • In April, the Minneapolis Police Department added 32 officers.  Six officers will be added to the 5th Precinct.  
  • National Night Out will be held this year on Tuesday, August 5.  Blocks can register for free until July 22.  Call 311 to register.

 

Lakes District Council Update Todd Wildermuth

  • Next meeting is July 24.  Todd plans to attend.

 

Midtown Greenway Coalition Update

  • No report.  Rhea will contact Greg Benz to see if he is attending meetings and if he would pass on the information to the Board.

 

Coordinator’s Updates

  • Rhea Sullivan reported that WCNC’s Phase II allocation has changed again.  It is up $192,034 (from $181,296).  We still have about $300,000 remaining in Phase I NRP funds.
  • Ona Aberholden Keller from the Strong Schools Strong City referendum campaign has requested an opportunity to speak at our next Board meeting.  Rhea will contact her to let her know she is welcome to attend.
  • Volunteers are needed by the Kids Voting Minneapolis program to staff polling places for 3 hour shifts on election day.  They also need Ward Chairs to help recruit volunteers.  If interested, contact Autumn at 612-729-1963.

WCNC Officer Elections

  • 2007 Officers were re-elected.
    • Chair – Mari Taffe
    • Vice Chair – Todd Wildermuth
    • Treasurer – Barb Stevens

 

Other Business

Speed Radar Sign Update  – Rhea Sullivan read the e-mail from Alexander Zachary, Park Planner, informing us that the Park Board Planning Department has chosen not to go forward with the speed radar sign.  He stated that there was “an overwhelming concern about adding permanent signage to the park and parkway.”  Board members were frustrated because there is currently permanent signage on the parkway that is covered with plastic, duct tape and paper clips.  The signs (No Left Turn 2 p.m. – 10 p.m.) have not been used in the past few years.  Board members also expressed frustration because this is the third project the neighborhood association has attempted to implement with the MPRB and they have turned down all three.

 

Councilmember Betsy Hodges agreed to communicate with Park Commissioner Bob Fine and Tom Nordyke.  She asked that we send her a list of points regarding the sign.  Rhea will draft the document and send it to Mari, Barb and Todd for review.

 

Lake Calhoun Master Plan – The next meeting has been scheduled for Thursday, July 17, 2008, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. at Linden Hills Park.  Todd said that he should be able to attend.

 

Trees – At the beginning of the meeting there was a lot of discussion about the trees in the area of West 32nd Street, which were pruned extremely this year due to their interference with the power lines.  Residents on the street were given a choice between continuing this extreme trimming each year or opting for the trees to be removed and replaced with a smaller tree.  The residents opted to have the trees removed and chose to replace them with Japanese Lilac trees.  Board members were concerned about the removal of mature trees.  A number of trees were also removed on Minnekahda Club property.  Betsy Hodges said that Xcel has a government liaison and she’d be happy to talk to him.  Todd suggested that we take photos and send them to Betsy to support our concerns.  We can also contact the Minnekahda Club to talk about replanting where trees were removed on their property.

 

WCNC Future –  Mari Taffe brought up the subject of whether WCNC should be absorbed into CIDNA and/or Linden Hills neighborhoods.   WCNC continues to have a difficult time recruiting volunteers.  We have no public meeting space in the neighborhood – no park, school or church.  Our housing is largely rental, so the population is more transient.  Betsy Hodges suggested that we call Carsten and have him talk to us about it.  Mari will call Carsten.

 

Barb Stevens suggested that we might consider meeting earlier in the evening at the Lake Calhoun Executive Center.  We could also contact Meg Forney about the possibility of meeting at the Minnekahda Club.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.

 

The next WCNC Board meeting will be held Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. at Whole Foods.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Rhea Sullivan

WCNC Co-Coordinator