November 9, 2010 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council

Minutes: 11/9/2010

 

Present:   Seth Doorn (Treasurer), Kathy Cobb, Meg Forney, Jeff Peltola (Vice Chair), Rhea Sullivan (Coordinator)

 

Guests:    Dan Blackburn (Whole Foods), Rodgers Adams

 

Administrative Items

 

Secretary’s Report

  • The minutes for October 12, 2010, were approved.

 

       Treasurer’s Report

  • Treasurer Seth Doorn reported that the current balance in the NRP account is $2,661. Rhea and Seth will meet with Carsten Slostad, NRP Specialist, on November 11 to learn how to file a CORF report (to file for reimbursement of NRP funds spent).

 

Monthly Updates

 

Council Member comments

  • No report.

 

Street Sweeping

  • Jeff Peltola reported that he was towed during the recent street sweeping in the neighborhood.  He did not see the sign.  Apparently houses with a LAN line get a phone call notification about the street sweeping, but those with only cell phones do not.  He said that it would be nice if neighborhood staff were notified so they could send out an e-mail notice prior to street sweeping.  Rhea will mention this to other SW Coordinators.

 

        Midtown Greenway Coalition

  • Seth Doorn reported that he recently attended an MGC retreat.  The Coalition is preparing for Tim Springer to leave in June.  They are also talking about ways to extend the Greenway and to encourage development.  They also talked about a potential streetcar on the Greenway in the next ten years.

 

Community Working Group for SW LRT

  • Jeff Peltola reported that at the last Working Group meeting, they broke out into groups by station.  Meg emphasized the pedestrian and bike connection to Lake Calhoun.  In the meeting, they said that parking wasn’t being considered.  Now, after talking with individual business owners, they are considering adding a park and ride to the short-term concepts.  
  • At the meeting, they broadened the scope to include West Calhoun Parkway and Dean Parkway.  They also showed possible ways to connect France or West 32nd Street.  
  • We will have an opening day plan and a plan for 30-years out.  The long-term plan includes a road that goes behind Calhoun Village.
  • We need to have a conversation with business owners.  Brad and Jack Pfaff have had a meeting with tenants at Calhoun Village about SW LRT.  That is not the case with landlord Kelly Doran at Calhoun Commons.  
  • The DEIS won’t be out until mid-December.
  • There will be a meeting about adding a park and ride to the short-term plans.  The meeting will be held on Monday, November 15 from 9-10 a.m. at Whole Foods.  Dan Blackburn plans to attend.  The Board asked Rhea to also invite Paul Setter (MGM), Thatcher Imboden (Ackerberg) and Jim Jennings (Minikahda Club.)
  • Rodgers Adams suggested that we should try to organize a business association again (as has been done in the past.)  Perhaps they would organize around this issue.

 

Park Board CAC re: SW LRT

  • Meg Forney reported that the facilitators of the Park meeting have asked that folks explain the issues they want to see addressed and let the engineers come up with solutions.  So, rather than saying, “I want a traffic circle,” folks should state that they want a way to control traffic flow that is pedestrian and bicycle-friendly.  She would like to see this same approach used in station area planning.  
  • Meg reported that she was invited by other members of the Park Board CAC to attend a meeting to talk about ways to collaborate.  She met with representatives from CIDNA, Kenwood Isles and Lowry Hill.  They would like WCNC to participate in “Goals for SW LRT Design & Mitigation”.  The idea would be to have the four neighborhoods agree on the goals and then meet with City Council members in mid-December.
  • Meg presented the draft goals to the Board.  Rhea will scan and e-mail the document to the full Board.
  • Meg suggested that we include businesses in this process to get their buy-in.
  • There was some discussion of whether it makes sense to present this before the DEIS comes out.  Some felt we should wait; others felt it would be good to take a more proactive approach.

Other Business

 

        NRP Policy Board Elector

  • Jeff Peltola is willing to serve as NRP Policy Board Elector for WCNC at the November 18 Policy Board election.  Rhea will submit the NRP Elector form to NRP.

 

       Southwest Transitway

  • Should we have another community meeting to interpret the DEIS?  The Board took a wait-and-see approach.  Perhaps the DEIS will be the major agenda item in January.  There was no consensus about whether to invite Bob Close to facilitate a future meeting.  We do not know his availability.
  • Do we have any option to give input on the name of the station?  We don’t know if the name of the station is set in stone.  We could ask Adele Hall.
  • The Board feels that we should organize a meeting for business owners and include businesses in Calhoun Commons, Calhoun Village, the Lake Calhoun Executive Center, and other area businesses including the Minikahda Club.  Rhea will talk to Michael about this.
  • Regarding the key concerns/opportunities, the only comment was that it might be nice to incorporate Thatcher’s four suggested categories: Safety, Accessibility, Economic Development and Livability.
  • There will be two station area planning open houses next week: Wed., Nov. 17 at Jones Harrison Residence and Thurs., Nov. 18 at Bryn Mawr Elementary School, both from 6-8 p.m.  Rhea included notice of the meetings in the e-mail blast that was sent out before the meeting.  She will also send an e-mail notice to area businesses.

 

        Signage for Midtown Greenway Access Point

  • Seth Doorn reported that the Midtown Greenway Coalition would like to see coherent signage throughout the Greenway.  Seth said this is a MGC project and he believes they have funding for it.  He will keep us posted.     

 

         Coordinator’s Report

  • Rhea Sullivan reported that the Center for Energy and Environment sent letters to 47 homeowners in the neighborhood to publicize the opportunity to attend an Energy Workshop and qualify for a $30 home visit (to improve the home’s energy efficiency.)     

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.

 

The next WCNC Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at The Bakken Museum at 6 p.m.  

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Rhea Sullivan, WCNC Coordinator