February 8, 2011 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council

Minutes: 2/8/11

 

Present:   Seth Doorn, Gary Knutson, Jeff Peltola (Vice Chair), Rhea Sullivan (Coordinator)

 

Guests:   Rodgers Adams, Carsten Slostad (NRP Specialist)

 

Administrative Items

 

Secretary’s Report

  • The minutes of the 12/14/2010 and 1/11/2011 meetings were approved as read.

 

       Treasurer’s Report

  • Treasurer Seth Doorn reported that the balance in our NRP account is $10,685.34 after paying the Coordinator’s January invoice.  He also reported that he met with Rhea Sullivan to prepare a draft budget for the Community Participation Program.

 

Monthly Updates

 

Council Member comments

  • Betsy Hodges was not present.

 

        Midtown Greenway Coalition

  • Seth Doorn reported that the MGC is planning for hiring a new Executive Director.  They have a search committee in place and have hired a consultant to help with the hiring process.

 

Community Working Group for SW LRT

  • The last meeting of the Community Working Group was held on February 3, 2011.  The SW LRT Stakeholders Group developed comments at their January 31 meeting.  Brad Pfaff presented the comments at the meeting.  Comments need to be refined for the February 28 deadline.

 

Park Board CAC re: SW LRT

  • Is waiting for the DEIS to be released.

 

Other Business

 

        Name of the “West Lake Station”

  • Meg Forney has proposed changing the name of the SW LRT station from “West Lake” to “West Calhoun.”
  • Gary Knutson proposed “Calhoun.”  Another idea proposed was “Lake Calhoun” station.
  • Jeff Peltola raised the question of whether it is up to us to come up with the station name.  Perhaps it doesn’t matter so much what we think, but it may be more important for the people coming to the station from outside the neighborhood.  We may not want to push this in our February 28 comments.
  • Gary volunteered to come up with some language for the comments to say, in effect, that the naming of the station deserves a second look.

 

     

 

   

       Update on Capstone Project (Traffic Assessment)

  • Jeff Peltola reported that four students are working on the Capstone Senior Project.  They are using Calhoun Towers and the Lake Calhoun Executive Center to make traffic counts.
  • Students will likely make a practice presentation at the next SW LRT Stakeholders’ Group meeting on Monday, March 7 at 4:00 p.m., at the Lake Calhoun Executive Center Conference Room.

 

       NRP Fund Review with NRP Specialist Carsten Slostad

  • Carsten gave a little background about WCNC’s Phase I NRP Plan.  We currently only have one open contract for administrative funds.  The last payment request put the budget out of balance and we need to do a “clean-up” plan modification.  There is currently only approx. $800 available.  The last advance was $5,600.
  • Carsten recommends that WCNC approves a plan modification to move $15,000 into the admininstrative contract at our March meeting.  Seth will look at the funds and recommend where we might take the funds from.  Carsten suggested extending the contract to Dec. 31, 2013.
  • Carsten also recommends that we form a committee to review our NRP Phase I Plan from ten years ago and evaluate the plan.  He suggested we look at what we wanted to do, what we did and how much was spent.  This may help spark ideas for current needs.  If we add new strategies to our Phase I Plan revision, we would need to have a formal neighborhood meeting to approve the plan and it would need to go to the NRP Policy Board.  Carsten recommends that we do this this year.  The Joint Powers Agreement that empowers the NRP Policy Board will end December 31, 2011.  After that he’s not sure how plan revisions will be handled.
  • In order to qualify for Phase II funds, we have to either have 95% of our Phase I funds under contract or 85% expended.  We are currently at 53% expended.  
  • WCNC had no Housing requirement for Phase I.  Carsten suggested that we may want to set up a Fix Up Loan Program.  Loan funds revolve back to the neighborhood and can be spent as we wish.

 

       Community Participation Program Application

  • The Board reviewed the draft budget for the Community Participation Program for $16,569.95.  Ideas for a community event include a fishing contest or an Ice Out contest.  
  • The Board asked Rhea to draft the Community Participation Program Application and send it to the Board to review before the next meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

 

The next WCNC Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at The Bakken Museum at 5:30 p.m.  

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Rhea Sullivan, WCNC Coordinator