April 9, 2013 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council Board Meeting Minutes
April 9, 2013 – 5:30 p.m., Bakken Museum

Board Members:  Kathy Cobb, Meg Forney, Ian Kees, Richard Logan, David Rhees, Aaron Shaffer, Mary Underwood, John Abraham-Watne.  Staff:  Rhea Sullivan.  In attendance:  Rodgers Adams.

Secretary’s Report:  The minutes were amended to add the wording: “In compliance with the Board’s Conflict of Interest Policy, David Rhees abstained from the vote.”  The revised minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:  Treasurer John Abraham-Watne reported that there is a $15,676.30 balance in the NCEC account; $1,606.48 balance in NRP account.  

Annual Meeting Planning:  Kathy suggested that we ask Jeff Peltola to attend the Annual Meeting to give an update on the recent Capstone projects and to show the new video.  Rhea will extend the invitation.  We will also have Hennepin County Commissioner Gail Dorfman, Minneapolis Park Board Assistant Superintendent for Planning Bruce Chamberlain and Metro Transit’s Community Outreach Coordinator for the Southwest LRT Sophia Ginis.  Elections will be held.  It seems that the current Board members are willing to return.  We will gather input on our Neighborhood Priority Plan questions.  Mary will post the Wavelength articles about the Annual Meeting and Earth Day in hopes of getting more attendance.

Retreat Planning:  The retreat is Thursday, May 2 at 6 p.m. at The Minikahda Club.  We will have a dinner of chicken chili, salad and corn bread all inclusive for $15.  There will also be a cash bar.  We had a discussion about how to structure the retreat.  Richard suggested that we take a broader view and look at what affects quality of life.  Ian suggested that we look at the current pots of money that we have and consider changing our NRP Plan.  The Board seemed divided about whether to review the NRP Plan first or whether to have the broad brainstorming first.  David assured the Board that he and Rhea would put together a draft agenda and run it by the Board with the appropriate documents.  Kathy requested that we spend some time discussing what projects we might want to fund for The Edge if we do not get Great Streets funding.

Change in Standing Meeting Date:  One of the Board members has a conflict with the Thursday meeting time.  We will stay with the 2nd Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.

CPP 2012 Annual Report:   The Board reviewed that Annual Report and voted to approve it.

Logo Design:  David and Gary met recently to discuss a potential new logo design for WCNC.  Our current logo is a part of the Minikahda bridge over Excelsior Boulevard.  Gary recommends that we invest $1,000 – $2,000 in a new logo design.  He knows two designers he will contact.  Aaron said that he may have connections.  Meg proposed that we use the same designer who designed The Edge logo.  The suggestion was also put forth that we have a student competition.  It was decided to table the discussion until the retreat when Gary can participate.

Park Board CAC re: Dean Parkway and Cedar Lake Road trail improvements:  Aaron reported that they had the last CAC meeting to discuss the potential impacts of the Southwest Transitway.  They came up with preferred options based on not having co-location.  They also discussed how things would be organized if they have a flyover bridge or trenching or an at-grade crossing.  They also talked about the potential redevelopment on Cedar Lake at the South Beach.  The Park Board did approve the CAC proposals that had been put forward for Dean Parkway and Cedar Lake Road.

West Lake Station Walkabout:  40 people turned out for the West Lake Station Walkabout on Saturday, April 6.  Katie Walker, Sam O’Connell and Sophia Ginis attended. Richard provided a written report to the Board.  The point of the walk was to understand the lay of the land – to look at the access points and see how people would get to the station on foot, by bicycle or bus.  Also looked at how to cross safely.  The West Lake Station will likely have the highest volume of people using it.  It also creates the most challenges.  It was stated at the walk that the nearest Park and Ride would be at the Beltline Blvd. station.  There was some discussion about private parking ramp development.  Katie Walker wants to do another walk when preliminary engineering plans are done.  Regarding SW LRT, we may want to consider what we would be willing to do to augment what light rail will pay for (like landscaping, possibly.)

SW LRT CAC:  Kathy attended this CAC in Meg’s place.  They discussed the freight rail line and the maintenance facility.  Engineers are looking at creative options to deal with the relocation/colocation issues, including perhaps stacking.  

Adopt-A-Greenway:  We are currently an Adopt-A-Greenway sponsor.  We are due to re-up this year (for $75.)  The Board is willing to do a Clean-Up.  It was suggested we send some folks over there on Earth Day April 20.  Aaron also mentioned that we are not a Midtown Greenway Coalition member.  We could be for as little as $250.  The MGC is trying to keep things green and safe.  They are working to make trail crossings safer, to change signage and to make sure the phones work on the trail.  Our section of the Greenway is not well lit.  We will consider membership in August when our sponsorship is up.    

Earth Day April 20:  Our Earth Day site this year is at The Bakken Museum.  We will set up at the corner of West 36th St. and West Calhoun Parkway.  Mary Underwood agreed to help Rhea staff the table.  Richard will ask Caribou for a donation of coffee.  Mary will check with Mel-O-Glaze to see if they might be willing to donate donuts.  We should do what we can to publicize the event.

Blood Drive:  The Blood Drive is Wednesday, May 8 from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. in the Lake Calhoun Executive Center Parking lot.

A Case Study in The Challenges of Urban Density:  Richard has an idea that he would like to make a video to make the point about the struggle to maintain quality of life with high urban density.  He would need someone to write a script, make a proposal.  At this point, it’s just an idea.

The Bakken Update:  David Rhees reported that The Bakken wants to promote bike riding.  They may get a Nice Ride station in front of The Bakken.  They also hope to get more bike racks.

Next meeting:  Our next meeting will be Tuesday, May 14.  

The meeting was adjourned at 6:57 p.m.