November 11, 2014 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council Meeting Minutes
November 11, 2014 – 5:30 p.m., The Bakken Museum, 3537 Zenith Ave. S.

Board Members:  Allan Campbell, Kathy Cobb, Ian Kees, Katie Larson, Haydee Peterson, David Rhees, Mary Underwood, John Abraham-Watne.  Staff:  Rhea Sullivan.  Also present: George Effrem, Aaron Shaffer.

Treasurer’s Report:  John Abraham-Watne reported no activity in the NRP account.  The balance is $607.93. The NCEC balance is $13,775.90.   

Secretary’s Report:  The minutes of the October 14 meeting were approved with one correction.  Change “We need to get on the legislative agenda…” to “She wants to get on the state legislative agenda…”

Retreat Summary:  Ian Kees reported that each committee should meet no later than the January 13 meeting and should finalize objectives, regular tasks and projects at that first meeting.  He also suggested that in February/March that each committee should develop a step plan with dates for each project.  Also, committees should identify funding for projects as soon as possible.  

Coordinator Time:  WCNC Coordinator Rhea Sullivan can work up to 30 hours per month.  She currently does not have a contract.  

Phase II Feasibility:  Rhea Sullivan reported that in order to start Phase II planning neighborhoods have to have expended 85% of their Phase I funds or have contracted 95% of their Phase I funds.  WCNC has not done either.  In order to start Phase II planning WCNC will need a waiver.  Jack Whitehurst, our Neighborhood Support Specialist from NCR, drafted a letter asking for a waiver, which the Board reviewed. WCNC Chair Ian Kees asked if we could change some of the wording.  Rhea will check with Jack.  The Board voted to seek a waiver for Phase II planning with potential modifications to the letter based on feedback from the City.

70% of Phase II funds need to go to housing.  WCNC had a waiver for housing for Phase I and did not have to allocate any funds to housing.  The question came up whether we can also get a waiver for housing for Phase II.  (Note: Rhea spoke to Jack Whitehurst about this. A waiver is not possible for Phase II.  The funds are set up differently. Each neighborhood must spend 70% of their funds on housing.)

Phase II planning is a function of the Long Term Vision/Strategy Committee.   

Committee Updates:  

  • Communications Committee will meet at 7:30 a.m. on November 12
  • Outreach Committee will meet at 7:00 p.m. on December 1
  • Environment Committee – No meeting scheduled yet.
  • Long Term Vision/Strategy Committee will meet the first week of December.
  • SW LRT Committee is planning the Walkabout on November 15

 

Loppet Assistance:  The Loppet has asked our participation in three facets of the 2015 Loppet: 1) They would like WCNC to support an aid station for 6-8 hours on Saturday, January 31 and 4-5 hours on Sunday, February 1.  They would need 2 people per time slot.  We could do what we want to make the booth festive.  2) They have invited us to participate in the snow sculpting from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Saturday, January 31.  This overlaps with the aid station. 3) They have also invited us to participate in the Crew Ski Loppet, which involves a 6-member team on 25-foot skis.  This event requires a $500 donation.  Rhea will check in with Jack to find out if we can use our funds for this.  A motion was made to support all three activities – dependent on whether we can use our funds for the Crew Ski Loppet.  The motion carried.  We talked about getting a banner with our logo on it to use at events like these.

 

SW LRT Station Walkabout:  The walkabout will be held on Saturday, November 15 at 11:00 a.m.  After the walkabout, the SW LRT Committee will be putting together a survey to the neighborhood.  The Citizen’s Advisory Committee is being reconstituted.  Their first meeting is in January.  We want to be sure that Greenway issues are addressed.  There is a lack of access to the Greenway for people west of the light rail.

 

Meeting Time:  The Board discussed changing the meeting time from 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 or 6:30 p.m.  David Rhees said that it would be easy to change it to 6:00 p.m.  The Board voted to move it to 6:00 p.m.  Rhea will publicize it in an eblast and will notify the Southwest Journal.

Potential Speakers for 2015:  We discussed possible speakers for 2015.  Some ideas include: Jack Whitehurst (NCR), Frank Hornstein and Scott Dibble, Maude Lovell from the Uptown Association, Sophia Ginis from SW LRT, someone from the Park Board to talk about the land bridge and sailing school, Brad Bourn, local residential realtor, business node representative, neighboring Board Chairs, someone from the Minikahda Club, Greenway Bike rep.  Katie Larson suggested that we tie visitors into what the committees are doing.

 

ECCO request re: ski grooming:  ECCO is planning to submit a proposal to the Park Board requesting more frequent trail grooming on Lake Calhoun.  Ian Kees reported that he would sign off on this proposal on behalf of WCNC.

Welcome letters: Katie Larson asked the manager of her building if he would put something in their welcome basket from WCNC.  He agreed.  The Communications/Outreach Committee will talk more about it. We should also do more on our Facebook page.  It was suggested that we spend more money on marketing materials.  We could do a magnet with neighborhood events listed.

Earth Day 2015:  The Board agreed that we should sign up to do Earth Day in 2015.  Rhea will contact the Park Board.

Open Forum:  It was suggested that was might get someone in the community to sponsor 25 helmets for $250 or put our logo on bike lights.  If anyone has stories about bike safety, please pass them on to Aaron Shaffer.

Next meeting:  Our next meeting will be Tuesday, December 9, 2014.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.