January 13, 2015 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council Meeting Minutes
January 13, 2015 – 6:00 p.m., The Bakken Museum, 3537 Zenith Ave. S.

Board Members:  Allan Campbell, Ian Kees, Katie Larson, Richard Logan, Haydee Peterson, Mary Underwood, John Abraham-Watne.  Staff:  Rhea Sullivan.  Also present: Rodgers Adams, Bonnie Kiley, Brigid Garry, Meg Forney.

Treasurer’s Report:  John Abraham-Watne reported no activity in the NRP account.  The balance is $607.93. The NCEC balance is $12,308.86.   

Secretary’s Report:  The minutes of the December 9 meeting were approved as read.

The Loppet:  Rhea Sullivan reported that we have 5 volunteers signed up for the aid station.  No one has signed up for the snow sculpture.  Mary Underwood said that she has a team for the Crew Ski Loppet and they will be registering soon.  We will have additional help at our aid site from Blake School and the Roseville Ski Team.  The first volunteers are Haydee and Allan.  They will pick up the banners at The Bakken.  Rhea will contact Nancy Nelson to find out if the aid tent will be set up on Friday night.  There is the opportunity to attend the Luminary Loppet.  It’s not guaranteed, but is on a first come, first served basis.  The Loppet fireworks are at 8 p.m. on Friday.

New Neighborhood Coordinator:  Rhea Sullivan is leaving the position as WCNC Neighborhood Coordinator.  Rhea will stay on until she has trained the new Coordinator.  There are 12 applicants so far.  Richard Logan, Allan Campbell and Katie Larson are the hiring committee.  Ian Kees suggested that they bring in 4-5 applicants for interviews.

Steps Document for Annual Retreat:  The Board reviewed the Steps Document for the Annual Retreat.  The goal is to have Steps Documents for all of our projects.  Katie Larson mentioned that she has a job journal from Target that we could use for tracking projects.

Committee Updates:

Communications Committee:  Haydee Peterson reported that the Winter newsletter went out.  It was full color on one side and had a fun new design.  It included the new Environmental Corner column. Regarding the web design project, they are waiting until the new Coordinator is hired.  If Board members see something they like on a website, Haydee requested that they let the Communications Committee know.  The banners are here and are ready for The Loppet.  

The question came up of who is responsible for maintaining the kiosk at the Greenway Access point.  It needs new screws.  John and Richard will help.  They will figure out what needs to be done and then we will check with Jack Whitehurst about how to maintain it.

SW LRT Committee:  Given the Governor’s position on Southwest light rail, the Board needs to decide whether we feel we should still do the SW LRT survey.  One possibility is to modify the survey or we could postpone it.  The goal of the survey is to provide community concerns to transit planners.  It will tell us if there is support for light rail and will generate a list of concerns and improvements.  It was suggested that we could send the survey via email.  A motion was made to briefly postpone the survey until the next meeting.

David Rhees made a motion to pass a resolution to the Park Board about light rail.  He feels that WCNC should strongly object to the actions taken by the Park Board which threaten light rail and the Board should encourage the Park Board to withdraw those actions and support light rail.  David drafted a motion to that effect.  The vote was 2 yes, 1 no and 5 abstaining.  Given the lack of clear support, David withdrew the motion.

Outreach Committee:  The Board reviewed the objective, projects and tasks of the Outreach committee.  The main projects include: 1) Gathering feedback from all business owners, 2) Republishing the Edge brochure, 3) Summer Movie Night and 4) Astronomy night.  The Board approved the committee’s objective/projects/tasks.

Safety Committee:  Richard Logan reviewed the 3 objectives of the committee, the 6 projects and 6 tasks.  He reported that the committee needs safety vests and clipboards to collect data about traffic violations.  After review of the objectives/projects/tasks, Richard agreed that he would revise the document and bring it back to the next meeting.

Zoning Committee:  Allan Campbell reported that Rob Bader is proposing a 150 unit mixed use development close to the neighborhood but in St. Louis Park.  We may want to send comments to St. Louis Park.

Long Term Vision/Strategy Committee:  Katie Larson reviewed the objectives/projects/tasks proposed for this committee, which include developing a Phase II NRP plan.  We will have approximately $80,000 in non-housing dollars to allocate.  The Board approved the committee’s objective/projects/tasks.

Meg Forney, MPRB:  Meg Forney reported that the MPRB passed a resolution in November to bring on a consultant to see if it’s feasible and prudent to put a tunnel under the bridge.  It has been determined that it is feasible, but now the question is – is it prudent?  The current research is being done to determine if it is prudent.  Meg doesn’t feel this action will derail the project.  The supplemental DEIS is coming out this quarter.  They want to be able to respond to it in a prudent manner.  MPRB approval of the projects occurs at the end of the year.  Municipal consent happened before the supplemental DEIS.  The problem is that the train will be co-located with the LRT.  Meg mentioned that her big objective is still to foster a connection between the West Lake Station and Lake Calhoun.

Open Forum:  Richard Logan reported that he would like to appeal to our City Council Member regarding the one parking space per dwelling unit rule.  Council Member Palmisano will be at next month’s meeting.

Next meeting:  Our next meeting will be Tuesday, February 10, 2015.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.