November 14, 2017 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting Minutes

Bakken Museum
Date: November 14, 2017
Called to order: 6:02pm
Presided by: Allan Campbell, President
Note taker: Nikki Lindberg
In attendance: Board: Allan Campbell, Richard Logan, Martha Yunker, John Bordwell, Michael Sanders, Lynette Davis, Jennifer Davie; Other: Nikki Lindberg, several people for the Bader Development presentation, Kendal Killian (Ward 13 Aide)

Secretary Report

  • Richard moved to approve the October minutes. Seconded by Michael. Motion carries.

Treasurer Report

  • Financial reports were emailed to the board
  • John requested that we talk about cost of accountant services at our December meeting. Our contract with Mobius is up at the end of the year.
  • Martha moved to enable the Vice Chair (Richard Logan) to approved payments. John seconded. Motion carries.
  • Richard moved to approve the language changes below. These changes will allow for us to leverage public space improvement dollars for the utility box wraps. John seconded. Motion carries.

NRP Phase II – 1.1.1.1 – Public Greenspace Enhancement and Amenities

Implement the recommendations of the Lake Harriet/Lake Calhoun Master Plan. This will include legacy improvements to this community space, especially the green space at W. 32nd and Calhoun Parkway. Improvements also may be made to other public spaces throughout the West Calhoun neighborhood.

CPP Phase III – 2.1.2 – Neighborhood Green Space

Improve the neighborhood greenspaces, especially the green space near W 32nd and Calhoun Parkway.  Improvements also may be made to other public spaces throughout the West Calhoun neighborhood.

Committee Reports

Communications, Outreach, Events

    • New email sign-up drawing, winner for October: Emily Zniewski
    • Wine Tasting event (2018 involvement) – We need to decide on our future involvement. Took a fair amount of Nikki’s time, raised little money. But is a great event. The only fundraiser we currently are involved in. We could look to having a volunteer on the committee. We could have more intentional ticket sales to increase our funds raised. Discussion by event committee to include involved neighborhoods in split of general dollars.
    • Status of Utility Box Covers – all permits gathered, should be installing as weather permits, language change will allow us to pay for via City.
    • Next printed newsletter – January

Safety

  • Michael moved to reorder whistles (800 qty / $645). John seconded. Motion carries.
  • Safety Walk recap – From the walk, we have identified issues at each intersection and problem areas around the neighborhood. Calhoun Commons will work with us to help rework traffic patterns. The ADA person with NCR is coming Monday to look at some of the areas of concern. Traffic calming a top priority and we’d like to make our neighborhood a visibly pedestrian-friendly area.

Greenspace still waiting for a response from the Park Board

Coordinator’s Report

  • MCN (http://www.minnesotanonprofits.org/) offers great workshops (like the grant writing program that Nikki and Richard attended). An organization we should probably belong to in order to take advantage of class discounts and other resources they offer.
  • Board retreat recap: Top priorities for the next year focus on traffic calming and pedestrian safety (sidewalk compliance, area lighting). We will also look into hosting a National Night Out event, as well as increasing our engagement with residents and business. Like to do drain stenciling, perhaps in conjunction with Earth Day.
  • We will be receiving mail at the Bakken moving forward. We will have basic business cards created so board members have a way to share our contact info.

This concluded our business portion of the regular meeting.


A representative from Hennepin County Public Works mentioned that our neighborhood would be contacted early next year for engagement around improvements coming to the Excelsior & Lake intersection.


Calhoun Towers Project Presentation

  • Bader Development is a multi-generational business, operating for over 60 years
  • Steven Scott Management manages several of their facilities
  • Recent project examples: The Eclipse, Shorham, 700 Central, 1700 Plymouth (near Ridgedale)
  • Bader purchased Calhoun Towers and the surrounding land (5 acres) in December 2016
  • Initially focused on deferred maintenance, and moving into unit renovation as well as adding units to the top floor. (Going from 108 units to 113.)
  • The Calhoun Towers Project, at the earliest, would break ground fall of 2018
  • This project is a transit focused development, and hinges heavily on the proposed LRT
  • Presentation team had members from Bader Development as well as architects, interior designers, landscape architects, management company, and some City staff.
  • They consider themselves a neighborhood builder, and prioritize safety and pedestrian issues
  • The project attempts to meet the objectives of the Met Council and City of Minneapolis to promote transit use, density, and a more sustainable city
  • The project would add the following (bringing total units to 800+)
    • 2 additional towers similar to the current structure (22 stories)
    • 2 additional 6-story structures
    • Walk up unites
    • Parking ramp
  • The parking ramp would be constructed as part of Phase 1 and will be designed in a way to be repurposed in the future as parking needs subside due to transit use.
  • Design incorporates transitions from the LRT stop to the neighborhood.
  • There would be an realignment of 31st St
  • No numbers yet on how many parking stall would be constructed. Current City recommendation is .5 for each unit.
  • Project is designated a Planned Unit Development (PUD). Must follow several rules, but then don’t have to get variances, etc.
  • Although final aesthetics haven’t been determined, the overall plan is to have green spaces, public thoroughfares, sculpture, etc. Focus on sustainable and low-maintenance materials. Crime prevention through environmental design.
  • The LRT will block off residents to the north from most of the neighborhood amenities (no proposed plan to help create a cross over)
  • May be able to negotiate a better passage to Whole Foods and Calhoun Commons from this project area.
  • A traffic study is being conducted. Many concerns raised about the already limited parking in our neighborhood, and the congestion that is particularly bad a rush hour. This project, in conjunction with LRT, would mean a lot more people, and thus a lot more cars and buses in our area.
  • An environmental impact study is also underway.
  • Comments shared about the exterior design (to consider something more forward thinking versus “classic”).
  • Everything is in the very early stages of development, and no approvals have been officially submitted or granted at this point.

7:33 – Adjourn

Meeting adjourned: 7:29pmSubmitted by: Nikki Lindberg

October 10, 2017 Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting Minutes
Bakken Museum

Date: October 10, 2017
Called to order: 6:02pm
Presided by: Allan Campbell, President
Note taker: Nikki Lindberg
In attendance: Board: John Bordwell, Allan Campbell, Lynette Davis, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, Tim Musson; Other; Nikki Lindberg, Coordinator; Louise Campbell, Dan Colvin, Jennifer Davie

President Report – Allan Campbell

  • A motion was made by Richard, seconded by Jeff, and carries to elect Dan Colvin to the board
  • A motion was made by Jeff, seconded by John, and carries to elect Jennifer Davie to the board
  • A motion was made by Lynette, seconded by Tim, and carries to elect Jennifer as Secretary
  • Dan and Jennifer both expressed interest in being a part of the Events & Communications committee

Secretary Report

  • Minutes from September approved. (Richard/John)

Treasurer Report – Tim Musson

  • Reports from Mobius not available in time for the meeting
  • Need to request a CPP drawdown

Committee Reports

Events & Communications

  • Happy Hour – about 2 dozen came from neighborhood — approved $300 (spent $225)
  • Email sign-ups on Constant Contact — pull our first winner at end of October
  • Wine event — volunteers will be offered a free event ticket for signing up
  • Utility box covers — the project should be underway. We will need to do a small Plan Modification to the language of a Neighborhood Priority, to be voted on in November. This will allow the payment for the project to be associated appropriately at the City for payment of the vendor.

Land Use

  • CPM expects to file with the City soon
  • Calhoun Towers project conducting feasibility studies and in negotiations with the railroad, etc.

Safety

  • Walk this Saturday. Would like to consider doing this annually. Perhaps alternate doing one in the evening or during rush hour.
  • Richard is happy to report that tree branches have finally been trimmed along Chowen and lighting is much improved.

Greenspace

  • Working on MOU with Park Board regarding the turf program to help create a usable surface for that area.
  • Skateboard park survey available for public comment.
  • We also need to  keep in mind the potential sailing school relocation.

Environment

  • Like to paint the storm drains, perhaps as part of a spring event. (Earth Day?)
  • Littering could be addressed in the spring, again with Earth Day. Consider doing something to bring a visible awareness to the amount of litter around, and how it all ends up in the lake.  

Coordinator

  • Board retreat will be on Monday 11/13 starting at 5:30pm. Dinner will be provided.
  • Lake naming survey. Small sample of residents (26 surveys) with majority wanting no change, but if changed, preference is for Lake Maka Ska.
    Board is choosing no action.
  • We still need bios and photos for website

City Council, Linea Palmisano

  • The results of a MPD body camera audit were released today. Although we are capturing more footage, there is a high level of non-compliance. Repercussions aren’t being enforced, and there are misperceptions about the system which are causing a resistance by officers to use the cameras. She is meeting the the Chief of Police next week to discuss what may help change this situation. In regards to the officer involved shooting of Justine Damon, State Atty General Michael Freeman should have a decision by the end of the year whether charges will be brought against Officer Noor.

Announcements & New Business

  • None

Meeting adjourned: 7:39pm

Submitted by: Nikki Lindberg