November 13, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council

Monthly Board Meeting, 6 PM, November 13 2018

Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Allan Campbell (chair), Lynette Davis (vice chair), Tim Musson (treasurer), John Bordwell, Victoria Hoshal, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker.

Excused: Annie Zager

6:00 – Welcome by Chair

Approval of October Minutes

  • Approved unanimously

Treasurer’s Report

New Appointments

  • Board Member: Paul Legler, former lawyer and federal Health & Human Services Dept appointee, recently moved to Minneapolis with wife, interested in green space in neighborhood.
    • Motion to bring Paul onto Board approved unanimously
  • Coordinator: Anna Schmitz, former coordinator at Saint Anthony East, currently also employed doing data science.
    • Motion to hire Anna as Coordinator approved unanimously
  • Secretary Anna to act as de facto secretary, Victoria to further consider secretary role

Planning for retreat

  • Retreat will be focused on setting priorities for 2019, work/future of neighborhood boards
  • Generally lasts ~2 hrs, was held last year in Bakken Great Hall with catering
  • Potential guests: Jack Whitehurst from Neighborhood and Community Relations Dept. Linea Palmisano, traffic/safety planning staff. Limit to 2 presenters.
  • Potential dates: November 26, 27. Will be decided via email follow-up.

Committee Reports

Greenspace: Discussion of committee recommendation on Greenspace proposalGreenspace Committee recommended rejection of proposal from Elan.

Alternative plan for south end of Greenspace, under one acre seems best for smaller budget/fewer requirements

  • Skate park may or may not happen. It is a priority for some Parks Board commissioners, but is dependent on funding.
  • Alternative plan potentially would just need a landscape architect and environmental consultant
  • Potential for sponsorship money for a stage?
  • Preference to keep area green rather than more cement, more focus on limiting traffic
  • Money needs to be contracted by end of 2019
  • Motion for Elan proposal to be rejected approved unanimously
  • Motion to bounce back to Greenspace Committee for new proposal approved unanimously
  • Communications, Outreach, Events: Needs leader
    • Victoria and Annie interested, Victoria to coordinate future meeting time
  • Safety: Banners
    • Spring and winter themes, minimal writing (westcalhoun.org possibly)
    • Phase 1 location Excelsior commercial area, Phase 2 along Lake Street with coordination with CIDNA, W Calhoun Pkwy likely not possible
    • May need new logo/design for banners, Victoria to communicate designer options with Annie
    • Total approved banner budget is $10k
  • Environment: Greenway Adoption
    • To send letter asking if lighting could be improved in addition to trash collection
    • $300 can be paid for from Community Participation Fund. No action taken,
  • Land Use
    • Public Hearing tomorrow at 4:30pm at City Hall on 2040 Plan
    • Injunction currently has $21k of $35k needed for lawsuit to pause 2040 plan for environmental assessment

New Business

  • Rogers Adams of CIDNA suggested that Earl Bakken be honored following his recent death. It was agreed that he would be a fitting subject for a Calhoun (or Maka Ska)Treasures award in 2019.

7:30 – Adjourn

December 4, 2018 Board Retreat Notes

WCNC Board Retreat Notes, 12.4.18

Date: December 4, 2018

Note taker: Anna Schmitz

In attendance: Allan Campbell, Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker, Lynette Davis, Richard Logan, Bordwell, Paul Legler, Victoria Hoshal

Guests: Nathan Koster, Mpls Transportation Planning and Programming; Allan Klugman, Mpls Traffic; Jack Whitehurst, Neighborhood and Community Relations; John Freude, Linea Palmisano Policy Aide

6:00 – 6:30:  Nathan Koster, Mpls Transportation Planning and Programming, and Allan Klugman, Mpls Traffic

-Reconfiguration of Lake and Excelsior to come in 2019 to improve pedestrian flow

-Lakehaus construction on Lake St in CIDNAhas either recently started or will start soon

-May add a plaza near SWLRT station stop

-Calhoun Towers development plan still TBD

-Seems likely that he will try to do all four buildings with a mid-rise first

-Multi-modal study didn’t anticipate increase in traffic growth on the Abbott/Chowen loopdue to Bader Project, kiss and ride traffic from SWLRT–will that be added? Need for traffic light at Abbott and Excelsior.

-According to Allan K, future growth was built into plan

-Bader Group was required to do traffic study considering number of vehicles

-Plans for pedestrian access to Greenway, shopping, etc, following SWLRT construction?

-Nathan: Dozens of recommendations went into SWLRT plan (for intersections etc)

-5 out of 6 targeted intersections have been/will be completed

-Done: Lagoon and Lake at E Calhoun

-Next year: Lake and Excelsior

-TBD in Jan: Lake at Dean, Lake at Thomas

-Plans for 32nd and Abbott sidewalk narrowness near Lakehaus project?

-Already done because project has been approved, wasn’t a big push to put in wider sidewalks, city doesn’t have influence

-Potential ADA issue?

-Allan K will do research and get back to WCNC

-Near-term projects:

-Left turn arrow on Lake and Dean (1-2 years ago)

-E Calhoun/Lake and Lagoon: trail conditions, lighting, sidewalk, additional trail space over the channel/wider bike area

-Longterm recommendations:

-Market Plaza: redoing parking lot/development from Greenway to Lake–raised trail crossing (Calhoun Village)

-Lake and Excelsior: coming in 2019

-Some longer-term projects happened within a year of the study being published

-Access issues on the Greenway behind new developments

-France and Lake intersection: improving crossings

-Pedestrian bridge across tracks connecting Ewing with Greenway

-Why no ped crossing/bridge across Lake St?

-Big lift, but was identified in study

-Will signal improvements include brighter lights for ped crossing icon and for peds?

-Can check, haven’t heard that complaint

-Lake/Market and SWLRT projects:

-Not a complete rebuilding of signal

-Will include enhancing ped facilities, talking push buttons, ADA enhancement, some poles moved to make corners more accessible

-Sidewalks will be widened on Lake St ~2 feet

-Elevators will be on either side of bridge

-Hope that landscaping will be high on list of priorities

-Many routes are working with county, continue to work with them on making county roads more like city roads, need appropriate soil, width, general conditions for trees

6:30 – 7:00: Jack Whitehurst, Neighborhood and Community Relations

-84 neighborhoods, 71 neighborhood organizations

-Funded by NRP since late ‘80s (Phase I and Phase II)

-Funded by CPP since 2011, through 2020

-$3.5 million for city, $28,340/yr for WCNC

-WCNC Phase I: $605,000, $276,888.39 rollover

-WCNC Phase II: $258,994, $10,315 used for CPP as “Equity Funds”  $181,295.80 spent on housing loan/grant

-$515,567.39 available once loan in paid back

-CPP funds to go away in 2020, future funding unclear

-Jack recommends discussing future funding with CM Palmisano

7:00 – 7:30: Priorities for 2019

-Martha talked to Meg Forney on Park Board about Greenspace

-Conversation seemed different than from past, encouraged to fundraise money (personal donations, asking Watershed, etc)  for an even larger area

-Goal of having green space function more like neighborhood park

-Priorities for spending our remaining $356,056 in NRP Funds

-E.g. a pocket park at the south end of our Greenspace, banners on street lights along our commercial corridors, improved sidewalks and/or lighting

-Richard: Priority for city officials to understand why West Calhoun not prepared for more density

-Allan: Accelerating plan for improving Excelsior sidewalks and advocating for Lake St ped crossing

-Need to see plans: will have ramps at corners for ADA compliance

-Traffic calming options: landscaping, trees, banners, elevation, painting options, making sidewalks more visible (with added potential to add character to neighborhood)

-John Freude:

-Partnering with local artists for placemaking/beautification project for sidewalks

-Downtown has done similar project with utility boxes

-Mary Altman as contact for designing RFP etc

-Could help with attention from other CMs

-Warm lighting with stylistic coherence, light stands as some kind of work of art

-Talking more to Jason Wittenberg, Dir of Planning

Submitted by: Anna Schmitz

December 11, 2018 Board Meeting Notes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council December Notes

No quorum for regular board meeting

In attendance: Allan Campbell, Martha Yunker, Lynette Davis, Richard Logan, John Bordwell

Guest: Chris Lundeen

Note taker: Anna Schmitz

6:00 – Welcome

  • No quorum for regular board meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • No way to spend CPP money by deadline
    • $90,000 to be spent by end of 2019–ideas?
      • Underwrite some educational programming done by Bakken? Sponsor an event?
      • Meetings with population re traffic/transit
      • Bike racks at Bakken
        • Chris to talk with Michael about this
      • Attempting to fundraise for greenspace (hosting fundraiser)
        • Allan to check with Jack to see if admissible for funds
      • Giving away WCNC materials (t-shirts, stroller covers, etc) that heighten safety awareness
      • Renewal of bookkeeper’s contract
      • Ballards for road
      • Lighting path up with reflective material (paint, decals, etc)
      • Communicating about birds, biological habitats around the lake area
        • Providing binoculars or signage around the lake
        • Working with local artists to tie in art pieces
        • Raptor Center
      • Marking the edges/roads of the neighborhood with sculpture pieces
      • “Welcome to West Calhoun” signage
      • Sculpture/art around Bde Maka Ska/native community
      • Cameras controlling lights based on traffic
        • Can talk to Prospect Park about this
      • Lighting along West Calhoun Blvd
      • Outreach to renters, outreach to businesses
      • Renters’ coalition spearheaded by PPNA, Anna can attend
        • Possibility for WCNC Renters’ Committee
      • Happy hour in an apartment complex
      • Big Idea contest similar to other neighborhood associations
      • Event at Bakken
        • “Night at the Museum” with activities/food/beverages at Bakken
        • Bakken open house
      • Meetings in other areas of neighborhood?
      • Walk/bike/ped meeting

Committee Reports

  • Greenspace — Neighborhood Park, Mini Park reports
    • Martha to discuss potential approaches with committee members and Park Board rep
    • Discussion of who will water park area
  • Communications, Outreach, Events
    • January newsletter, assign topics
      • One piece of content from each committee
        • Greenspace: Pocket park, neighborhood park (Martha)
        • Safety: Congestion, Calhoun Commons (Richard)
        • Deadline January 7
      • Update on 2040
  • Safety — Banners report
  • Environment — Greenway Adoption
  • Land Use — Calhoun Towers, Hotel report

New Business

  • Happy Hour
    • Party room in one of the rental buildings

Submitted by: Anna Schmitz

October 9, 2018 Meeting Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting Minutes
Bakken Museum

Date: October 9, 2018

Called to order: 6:29pm

Presided by: Lynette Davis, Vice Chair

Note taker: Nikki Lindberg

In attendance: Annie Zager, Victoria Hoshal, Lynette Davis, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, John Boardwell

Guest Presenters

  • Marcie Weslock from Elan (regarding green space)
    • Feasibility study will do much to determine next steps
    • Any improvements will need to be done in cooperation with both the City and MRPB
    • City maintains/uses major stormwater drain that runs under the green space
    • Marcie will forward other projects and costs (for point of comparison)

President Report – Thank you to Nikki for her service

Treasurer Report – Reports shared via email

Secretary Report

  • September minutes to be approved via email (due to not having quorum until nearly 6:30)

Events & Communications

  • Wine Event – happening Thursday!

Greenspace

  • Board to review proposal sent from Elan/Marcie, and decide if they would like to move forward on the feasibility study.

2040 Comprehensive Plan Discussion (City Council Member Linea Palmisano)

  • Every 10 years the City does a comp plan (land use/transportation guide) and is a 20 year visionary statement for how we want to grow our City (assumes 20,000 HH increase). Fundamentally a guide for future development.
  • All cities in the area are required to do this by the Met Council
  • Urban areas are growing faster than other regions, and this affects the planning of infrastructure and how resources are allocated in the region
  • Linea sees the comp plan an opportunity to discuss how we want to grow, and in what ways have we been held back (within the context of that area, as different parts of the City have different issues)
  • Linea is the only Council Member who did a letter to her Ward (to help summarize and increase awareness around the 2040 comp plan)
  • Linea would have liked to have seen the comp plan  address more specific needs of an area (such as what is needed where, for example, for affordable housing, senior housing, etc., and how that may be best accomplished within each neighborhood)
  • There is much frustration around this engagement process on a number of levels. Presented as a “drafty draft” but has been pushed forward in a way that demonstrates this may not truly be the case.
  • No thoughtful way to incorporate feedback has been demonstrated. Missing a key analytical step/process as part of the engagement.
  • Strong Towns (www.strongtowns.org) presents a strong case for incrementalism, otherwise you destabilize a community. This plan feels like a few cranks too high (more like a 2080 plan).
  • Comments regarding this feeling backwards: that transit should be in place before we increase the housing. Seems to not take into consideration existing infrastructure that can’t handle the recommended zoning changes.

Next steps:

  • Planning Commission: October 29th at 4:30pm
    Come and voice your opinion here to Planning Commissioners who can modify/send forward the Plan.
  • Adjourned City Council Meeting: November 14th at 4:30pm
    Come and voice your opinion here to the full City Council who can propose plan changes and vote to adopt the Plan.
  • City Council Committee of the Whole: December 5th at 1:30pm
    This is the regularly scheduled meeting of Committee of the Whole. We do not yet know if there will be an opportunity to propose changes to the plan. It is not a public hearing.
  • City Council: December 7th at 9:30am
    This is not a public hearing but the final vote on the Plan.

These meetings will be held in Council Chambers (Room 317) at Minneapolis City Hall (350 South 5th Street)

Safety

  • Richard hosting walk around to discuss concerns for safety and density
  • November meeting hope to have someone come to discuss Calhoun Commons traffic
  • Lake St & Drew – lots of recent safety concerns there
  • If we have Bader and SWLRT under construction at same time can this be staged? Wanting to engage around the impacts to the area if this were to happen.
  • 3100 W Lake St (Lutheran Brotherhood)

Meeting adjourned: 7:29pmSubmitted by: Nikki Lindberg