December 11, 2018 Board Meeting Notes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council December Notes

No quorum for regular board meeting

In attendance: Allan Campbell, Martha Yunker, Lynette Davis, Richard Logan, John Bordwell

Guest: Chris Lundeen

Note taker: Anna Schmitz

6:00 – Welcome

  • No quorum for regular board meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • No way to spend CPP money by deadline
    • $90,000 to be spent by end of 2019–ideas?
      • Underwrite some educational programming done by Bakken? Sponsor an event?
      • Meetings with population re traffic/transit
      • Bike racks at Bakken
        • Chris to talk with Michael about this
      • Attempting to fundraise for greenspace (hosting fundraiser)
        • Allan to check with Jack to see if admissible for funds
      • Giving away WCNC materials (t-shirts, stroller covers, etc) that heighten safety awareness
      • Renewal of bookkeeper’s contract
      • Ballards for road
      • Lighting path up with reflective material (paint, decals, etc)
      • Communicating about birds, biological habitats around the lake area
        • Providing binoculars or signage around the lake
        • Working with local artists to tie in art pieces
        • Raptor Center
      • Marking the edges/roads of the neighborhood with sculpture pieces
      • “Welcome to West Calhoun” signage
      • Sculpture/art around Bde Maka Ska/native community
      • Cameras controlling lights based on traffic
        • Can talk to Prospect Park about this
      • Lighting along West Calhoun Blvd
      • Outreach to renters, outreach to businesses
      • Renters’ coalition spearheaded by PPNA, Anna can attend
        • Possibility for WCNC Renters’ Committee
      • Happy hour in an apartment complex
      • Big Idea contest similar to other neighborhood associations
      • Event at Bakken
        • “Night at the Museum” with activities/food/beverages at Bakken
        • Bakken open house
      • Meetings in other areas of neighborhood?
      • Walk/bike/ped meeting

Committee Reports

  • Greenspace — Neighborhood Park, Mini Park reports
    • Martha to discuss potential approaches with committee members and Park Board rep
    • Discussion of who will water park area
  • Communications, Outreach, Events
    • January newsletter, assign topics
      • One piece of content from each committee
        • Greenspace: Pocket park, neighborhood park (Martha)
        • Safety: Congestion, Calhoun Commons (Richard)
        • Deadline January 7
      • Update on 2040
  • Safety — Banners report
  • Environment — Greenway Adoption
  • Land Use — Calhoun Towers, Hotel report

New Business

  • Happy Hour
    • Party room in one of the rental buildings

Submitted by: Anna Schmitz