January Board Meeting Agenda

Agenda

6:00 – Welcome by Chair

6:05 – Approval of December Minutes

6:10 – Treasurer’s Report

6:50 – Committee Reports

·       Greenspace –  Recommendations for spending NRP funds

·       Communications, Outreach, Events – newsletter articles, happy hours, name change/survey 

·       Safety – Banners report

·       Environment –

·       Land Use –

7:25 – New Business

7:30 – Adjourn

November 13, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council

Monthly Board Meeting, 6 PM, November 13 2018

Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Allan Campbell (chair), Lynette Davis (vice chair), Tim Musson (treasurer), John Bordwell, Victoria Hoshal, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker.

Excused: Annie Zager

6:00 – Welcome by Chair

Approval of October Minutes

  • Approved unanimously

Treasurer’s Report

New Appointments

  • Board Member: Paul Legler, former lawyer and federal Health & Human Services Dept appointee, recently moved to Minneapolis with wife, interested in green space in neighborhood.
    • Motion to bring Paul onto Board approved unanimously
  • Coordinator: Anna Schmitz, former coordinator at Saint Anthony East, currently also employed doing data science.
    • Motion to hire Anna as Coordinator approved unanimously
  • Secretary Anna to act as de facto secretary, Victoria to further consider secretary role

Planning for retreat

  • Retreat will be focused on setting priorities for 2019, work/future of neighborhood boards
  • Generally lasts ~2 hrs, was held last year in Bakken Great Hall with catering
  • Potential guests: Jack Whitehurst from Neighborhood and Community Relations Dept. Linea Palmisano, traffic/safety planning staff. Limit to 2 presenters.
  • Potential dates: November 26, 27. Will be decided via email follow-up.

Committee Reports

Greenspace: Discussion of committee recommendation on Greenspace proposalGreenspace Committee recommended rejection of proposal from Elan.

Alternative plan for south end of Greenspace, under one acre seems best for smaller budget/fewer requirements

  • Skate park may or may not happen. It is a priority for some Parks Board commissioners, but is dependent on funding.
  • Alternative plan potentially would just need a landscape architect and environmental consultant
  • Potential for sponsorship money for a stage?
  • Preference to keep area green rather than more cement, more focus on limiting traffic
  • Money needs to be contracted by end of 2019
  • Motion for Elan proposal to be rejected approved unanimously
  • Motion to bounce back to Greenspace Committee for new proposal approved unanimously
  • Communications, Outreach, Events: Needs leader
    • Victoria and Annie interested, Victoria to coordinate future meeting time
  • Safety: Banners
    • Spring and winter themes, minimal writing (westcalhoun.org possibly)
    • Phase 1 location Excelsior commercial area, Phase 2 along Lake Street with coordination with CIDNA, W Calhoun Pkwy likely not possible
    • May need new logo/design for banners, Victoria to communicate designer options with Annie
    • Total approved banner budget is $10k
  • Environment: Greenway Adoption
    • To send letter asking if lighting could be improved in addition to trash collection
    • $300 can be paid for from Community Participation Fund. No action taken,
  • Land Use
    • Public Hearing tomorrow at 4:30pm at City Hall on 2040 Plan
    • Injunction currently has $21k of $35k needed for lawsuit to pause 2040 plan for environmental assessment

New Business

  • Rogers Adams of CIDNA suggested that Earl Bakken be honored following his recent death. It was agreed that he would be a fitting subject for a Calhoun (or Maka Ska)Treasures award in 2019.

7:30 – Adjourn

December 4, 2018 Board Retreat Notes

WCNC Board Retreat Notes, 12.4.18

Date: December 4, 2018

Note taker: Anna Schmitz

In attendance: Allan Campbell, Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker, Lynette Davis, Richard Logan, Bordwell, Paul Legler, Victoria Hoshal

Guests: Nathan Koster, Mpls Transportation Planning and Programming; Allan Klugman, Mpls Traffic; Jack Whitehurst, Neighborhood and Community Relations; John Freude, Linea Palmisano Policy Aide

6:00 – 6:30:  Nathan Koster, Mpls Transportation Planning and Programming, and Allan Klugman, Mpls Traffic

-Reconfiguration of Lake and Excelsior to come in 2019 to improve pedestrian flow

-Lakehaus construction on Lake St in CIDNAhas either recently started or will start soon

-May add a plaza near SWLRT station stop

-Calhoun Towers development plan still TBD

-Seems likely that he will try to do all four buildings with a mid-rise first

-Multi-modal study didn’t anticipate increase in traffic growth on the Abbott/Chowen loopdue to Bader Project, kiss and ride traffic from SWLRT–will that be added? Need for traffic light at Abbott and Excelsior.

-According to Allan K, future growth was built into plan

-Bader Group was required to do traffic study considering number of vehicles

-Plans for pedestrian access to Greenway, shopping, etc, following SWLRT construction?

-Nathan: Dozens of recommendations went into SWLRT plan (for intersections etc)

-5 out of 6 targeted intersections have been/will be completed

-Done: Lagoon and Lake at E Calhoun

-Next year: Lake and Excelsior

-TBD in Jan: Lake at Dean, Lake at Thomas

-Plans for 32nd and Abbott sidewalk narrowness near Lakehaus project?

-Already done because project has been approved, wasn’t a big push to put in wider sidewalks, city doesn’t have influence

-Potential ADA issue?

-Allan K will do research and get back to WCNC

-Near-term projects:

-Left turn arrow on Lake and Dean (1-2 years ago)

-E Calhoun/Lake and Lagoon: trail conditions, lighting, sidewalk, additional trail space over the channel/wider bike area

-Longterm recommendations:

-Market Plaza: redoing parking lot/development from Greenway to Lake–raised trail crossing (Calhoun Village)

-Lake and Excelsior: coming in 2019

-Some longer-term projects happened within a year of the study being published

-Access issues on the Greenway behind new developments

-France and Lake intersection: improving crossings

-Pedestrian bridge across tracks connecting Ewing with Greenway

-Why no ped crossing/bridge across Lake St?

-Big lift, but was identified in study

-Will signal improvements include brighter lights for ped crossing icon and for peds?

-Can check, haven’t heard that complaint

-Lake/Market and SWLRT projects:

-Not a complete rebuilding of signal

-Will include enhancing ped facilities, talking push buttons, ADA enhancement, some poles moved to make corners more accessible

-Sidewalks will be widened on Lake St ~2 feet

-Elevators will be on either side of bridge

-Hope that landscaping will be high on list of priorities

-Many routes are working with county, continue to work with them on making county roads more like city roads, need appropriate soil, width, general conditions for trees

6:30 – 7:00: Jack Whitehurst, Neighborhood and Community Relations

-84 neighborhoods, 71 neighborhood organizations

-Funded by NRP since late ‘80s (Phase I and Phase II)

-Funded by CPP since 2011, through 2020

-$3.5 million for city, $28,340/yr for WCNC

-WCNC Phase I: $605,000, $276,888.39 rollover

-WCNC Phase II: $258,994, $10,315 used for CPP as “Equity Funds”  $181,295.80 spent on housing loan/grant

-$515,567.39 available once loan in paid back

-CPP funds to go away in 2020, future funding unclear

-Jack recommends discussing future funding with CM Palmisano

7:00 – 7:30: Priorities for 2019

-Martha talked to Meg Forney on Park Board about Greenspace

-Conversation seemed different than from past, encouraged to fundraise money (personal donations, asking Watershed, etc)  for an even larger area

-Goal of having green space function more like neighborhood park

-Priorities for spending our remaining $356,056 in NRP Funds

-E.g. a pocket park at the south end of our Greenspace, banners on street lights along our commercial corridors, improved sidewalks and/or lighting

-Richard: Priority for city officials to understand why West Calhoun not prepared for more density

-Allan: Accelerating plan for improving Excelsior sidewalks and advocating for Lake St ped crossing

-Need to see plans: will have ramps at corners for ADA compliance

-Traffic calming options: landscaping, trees, banners, elevation, painting options, making sidewalks more visible (with added potential to add character to neighborhood)

-John Freude:

-Partnering with local artists for placemaking/beautification project for sidewalks

-Downtown has done similar project with utility boxes

-Mary Altman as contact for designing RFP etc

-Could help with attention from other CMs

-Warm lighting with stylistic coherence, light stands as some kind of work of art

-Talking more to Jason Wittenberg, Dir of Planning

Submitted by: Anna Schmitz

December 11, 2018 Board Meeting Notes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council December Notes

No quorum for regular board meeting

In attendance: Allan Campbell, Martha Yunker, Lynette Davis, Richard Logan, John Bordwell

Guest: Chris Lundeen

Note taker: Anna Schmitz

6:00 – Welcome

  • No quorum for regular board meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • No way to spend CPP money by deadline
    • $90,000 to be spent by end of 2019–ideas?
      • Underwrite some educational programming done by Bakken? Sponsor an event?
      • Meetings with population re traffic/transit
      • Bike racks at Bakken
        • Chris to talk with Michael about this
      • Attempting to fundraise for greenspace (hosting fundraiser)
        • Allan to check with Jack to see if admissible for funds
      • Giving away WCNC materials (t-shirts, stroller covers, etc) that heighten safety awareness
      • Renewal of bookkeeper’s contract
      • Ballards for road
      • Lighting path up with reflective material (paint, decals, etc)
      • Communicating about birds, biological habitats around the lake area
        • Providing binoculars or signage around the lake
        • Working with local artists to tie in art pieces
        • Raptor Center
      • Marking the edges/roads of the neighborhood with sculpture pieces
      • “Welcome to West Calhoun” signage
      • Sculpture/art around Bde Maka Ska/native community
      • Cameras controlling lights based on traffic
        • Can talk to Prospect Park about this
      • Lighting along West Calhoun Blvd
      • Outreach to renters, outreach to businesses
      • Renters’ coalition spearheaded by PPNA, Anna can attend
        • Possibility for WCNC Renters’ Committee
      • Happy hour in an apartment complex
      • Big Idea contest similar to other neighborhood associations
      • Event at Bakken
        • “Night at the Museum” with activities/food/beverages at Bakken
        • Bakken open house
      • Meetings in other areas of neighborhood?
      • Walk/bike/ped meeting

Committee Reports

  • Greenspace — Neighborhood Park, Mini Park reports
    • Martha to discuss potential approaches with committee members and Park Board rep
    • Discussion of who will water park area
  • Communications, Outreach, Events
    • January newsletter, assign topics
      • One piece of content from each committee
        • Greenspace: Pocket park, neighborhood park (Martha)
        • Safety: Congestion, Calhoun Commons (Richard)
        • Deadline January 7
      • Update on 2040
  • Safety — Banners report
  • Environment — Greenway Adoption
  • Land Use — Calhoun Towers, Hotel report

New Business

  • Happy Hour
    • Party room in one of the rental buildings

Submitted by: Anna Schmitz

October 9, 2018 Meeting Minutes

West Calhoun Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting Minutes
Bakken Museum

Date: October 9, 2018

Called to order: 6:29pm

Presided by: Lynette Davis, Vice Chair

Note taker: Nikki Lindberg

In attendance: Annie Zager, Victoria Hoshal, Lynette Davis, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, John Boardwell

Guest Presenters

  • Marcie Weslock from Elan (regarding green space)
    • Feasibility study will do much to determine next steps
    • Any improvements will need to be done in cooperation with both the City and MRPB
    • City maintains/uses major stormwater drain that runs under the green space
    • Marcie will forward other projects and costs (for point of comparison)

President Report – Thank you to Nikki for her service

Treasurer Report – Reports shared via email

Secretary Report

  • September minutes to be approved via email (due to not having quorum until nearly 6:30)

Events & Communications

  • Wine Event – happening Thursday!

Greenspace

  • Board to review proposal sent from Elan/Marcie, and decide if they would like to move forward on the feasibility study.

2040 Comprehensive Plan Discussion (City Council Member Linea Palmisano)

  • Every 10 years the City does a comp plan (land use/transportation guide) and is a 20 year visionary statement for how we want to grow our City (assumes 20,000 HH increase). Fundamentally a guide for future development.
  • All cities in the area are required to do this by the Met Council
  • Urban areas are growing faster than other regions, and this affects the planning of infrastructure and how resources are allocated in the region
  • Linea sees the comp plan an opportunity to discuss how we want to grow, and in what ways have we been held back (within the context of that area, as different parts of the City have different issues)
  • Linea is the only Council Member who did a letter to her Ward (to help summarize and increase awareness around the 2040 comp plan)
  • Linea would have liked to have seen the comp plan  address more specific needs of an area (such as what is needed where, for example, for affordable housing, senior housing, etc., and how that may be best accomplished within each neighborhood)
  • There is much frustration around this engagement process on a number of levels. Presented as a “drafty draft” but has been pushed forward in a way that demonstrates this may not truly be the case.
  • No thoughtful way to incorporate feedback has been demonstrated. Missing a key analytical step/process as part of the engagement.
  • Strong Towns (www.strongtowns.org) presents a strong case for incrementalism, otherwise you destabilize a community. This plan feels like a few cranks too high (more like a 2080 plan).
  • Comments regarding this feeling backwards: that transit should be in place before we increase the housing. Seems to not take into consideration existing infrastructure that can’t handle the recommended zoning changes.

Next steps:

  • Planning Commission: October 29th at 4:30pm
    Come and voice your opinion here to Planning Commissioners who can modify/send forward the Plan.
  • Adjourned City Council Meeting: November 14th at 4:30pm
    Come and voice your opinion here to the full City Council who can propose plan changes and vote to adopt the Plan.
  • City Council Committee of the Whole: December 5th at 1:30pm
    This is the regularly scheduled meeting of Committee of the Whole. We do not yet know if there will be an opportunity to propose changes to the plan. It is not a public hearing.
  • City Council: December 7th at 9:30am
    This is not a public hearing but the final vote on the Plan.

These meetings will be held in Council Chambers (Room 317) at Minneapolis City Hall (350 South 5th Street)

Safety

  • Richard hosting walk around to discuss concerns for safety and density
  • November meeting hope to have someone come to discuss Calhoun Commons traffic
  • Lake St & Drew – lots of recent safety concerns there
  • If we have Bader and SWLRT under construction at same time can this be staged? Wanting to engage around the impacts to the area if this were to happen.
  • 3100 W Lake St (Lutheran Brotherhood)

Meeting adjourned: 7:29pmSubmitted by: Nikki Lindberg

September 11, 2018 Minutes

WCNC Calhoun – Meeting Minutes

Sept. 11, 2018

Submitted by Victoria Hoshal

Board members present:  Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker, Allan Campbell, Richard Logan, John Bordwell, Lynette Davis, Victoria Hoshal

Guests: Jack Whitehurst – Neighborhood Support Specialist, Meg Forney – Minneapolis Park Board member, Linea Palmisano- City Council Representative for Ward 13, Julie Aldrich – Greenspace Consultant.

Board Action:  The July meeting minutes were approved.

Committee Reports:  

Allan noted he has no separate President’s Report.  Re. the Treasurer’s Report – financials have been sent to the board.  Michael requested last year’s actuals so that we can compare YOY.

Development Plans – Calhoun Towers update:  Allan noted he received a call from Robb Bader.  Robb said that Bader Development will not be starting anything until next Spring. Unless the light rail issues are resolved they would begin construction on Phase III (vs. phases I, II or IV).  

Meeting attendee Steve Goltry noted that contractor staging can be difficult with multiple projects going – also emergency vehicle access is an issues.  Richard Logan added that he has observed “the abject failure of the planning commission to operate with best practice assumptions.” Richard suggested that we invite the head of planning commission to our next meeting.  We would question him on how development projects support the health safety and welfare of our neighborhoods.  There was no resolution on this item for an invitation/moving forward.

Allan reported on Movie Night.  There were not as many people as the previous year.  Cosf was $425. John Bordwell reminded the board of the upcoming wine tasting event on Thursday Oct. 11.  There has been $7,500 pledged from top donors and restaurants have donated food. We need 9 – 10 volunteers to work that night in 1 – 1.5 hour shifts.  Decision was made to provide discounted tickets to volunteers. Any tickets sold by WCNC will be our revenue. Attendance goal for the event is 400– 500. is goal – group agreed that volunteers will receive discounted tickets.  

Other conversation occurred around Environment: Buckthorn removal along Lake Calhoun would be desirable but would need to be done by specialists.  Richard will remind Tim about the storm drain stenciling. Re. Safety:  Richard has sent two emails to Calhoun Commons new ownership to commit to changing access points.  He is waiting to hear back from him about scheduling a meeting or joining our board meeting. Re. Traffic CalmingWCNC has $177,000 for traffic calming.  Allan is waiting to hear back from David Ngo.  We should discuss the banners at our next meeting, Annie is working on this and hopefully can provide a report/update.

Allan mentioned that there will be a November board retreat and Nikki is working on this.  Re. New Business: Richard suggested we have Michael present more about the Bakken Museum at our next meeting and we invite the public in.  The Bakken defines the sense of space for the neighborhood. Allan reminded the board that we have an open board seat. Please send nominees to Allan.  

Greenspace Committee:  Allan stated that short-term improvements should be furthering the master plan. Allan and Julie Aldrich are setting up a meeting with the planners to understand what would be permitted.  Allan would like full participation from Greenspace Committee or other board members. Proposal is on hold until we know what we can do. Then Julie will be back with a proposal. Julie stated that the project we are looking to do is ½ scope of full master plan. Park Board has agreed to allow some amenities – neighborhood council to facilitate the project to avoid delays.  We’ll work with PB and set milestones.   Design will happen during Fall/Winter, followed by contractor bids this Winter and construction next Summer.  There is a Category 3 wetland on the site; we will be avoiding that wetland. Will ask for community input. The  northwest portion of the site will be our focus – could be picnic tables, bocce court, fitness equipment, etc. These features would be permanent.  Funding would be outside of WCNC Neighborhood Action Plan.

Guest Jack Whitehurst presented financial information on the Neighborhood Action Plan status.  He also distributed a diversity survey around the demographic make-up of boards of neighborhood organizations.

He will provide online version for board members to respond to as well.

Neighborhood Crime Update from Linea Palmisano

There was a shooting on Excelsior Blvd. male/female victim – being investigated as possibly gang related.  They were in a car heading west on Excelsior Blvd – Saturday night of Labor Day weekend were fired at by another vehicle.  The victims were wounded.

Update on Hotel Proposal

Allan reported that the planners are in the due diligence process and don’t have a date yet for application to the city.  Still talking about traffic issues. No action has been taken over the course of the summer.

Update on Minneapolis 2040 Plan

Linea reported that the 2040 Plan Version 2 is scheduled to be released on Friday.  She has requested a three page summary with highlights of changes from the original plan. Linea has requested that comments received on the original be shared in the updated version.  Her office has organized the feedback. We have one scheduled meeting between now and the release of Version #2 the plan. After Version #2 there will be a public hearing on Oct. 29. There will be a Committee of the Whole meeting on Oct. 12 and a City Council meeting on December 7 for final adoption.  She has been working with the press and the mayor’s office.

Linea noted that Hennepin County is also doing a comprehensive plan – three members of the public are invited to the committee for this plan.  This should have been the case with the 2040 plan. Martha Yunker asked about Goth Public being hired as an agency for the 2040 plan and discussion occurred around the ethical implications for this action by the City.

Other updates from Linea: Early voting begins Sept. 21 downtown and week of Oct. 30 outside of downtown. Election day is Tuesday Nov. 6.  Lesser known items on the ballet include a school referendum proposal to increase funding and a charter amendment involving liquor sales.  To date this has been a very expensive process for restaurant owners. Wakame has had an exemption to serving liquor. Exemptions have to be passed at the state level.  This has been a barrier to small business success and the amendment is an easy solution – making it more viable for entrepreneurs and opening up opportunities for different parts of Minneapolis.  Linea is supportive of the amendment to change it. The current law requires 7 continuous acres of commercially zoned property as the requirement for serving liquor. The amendment does not pertain to off-sale liquor.  

Meg Fourney reported that the Linden Hills Bocce Ball Group has raised $13,000 to install the new courts and make them ADA – they’ve now raised $10,000 addl. From Bremer Bank to make it fully ADA accessible.  Dr. Art Ides is a neighborhood resident and dermatologist and the Natl. Dermatology Society donates money for Sun structures. This could be an additional funding option. Regarding the 2040 plan, Meg served on the planning commission in the past and has tried to advocate for the Shoreland Overlay early on.  Former Council Member and now President Lisa Bender, Ward 10, said that the planning looks at the Shoreland Overlay for rural areas only. The question is: how can we put teeth back into it? Advocating performance-based zoning is one way we could possibly protect water quality, bird safety, shadowing. We’ve asked for that to be put into the 2040 plan.  As it stands, each community can craft the Shoreland Overlay to their preference.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:40

 

July 10, 2018 Minutes

Meeting Minutes

July 10, 2018

Attending board members: Allan Campbell, Richard Logan, Tim Musson, Victoria Hoshal, John Bordwell, Martha Yunker, Jennifer Davie

16 residents

Absent:  (excused) Jeff Idelkope, Michael Sanders, Annie Zager; (unexcused) Lynette Davis

Called to order 6:04

President’s Report: Linea to be coming

Secretary’s Report: June minutes – Richard/John approved

Treasurer’s Report: Fundamentally no changes from last month

City Council Update  Linea Palmisano

Calhoun Towers Planning Commission public hearing on Monday 7/16 (4:30 in Council Chambers). The following points were discussed in preparation for the hearing:

  • Planning Commission – has reps from City Council, Park Board, School Board, residents, and area experts. “Mission statement” is to make decisions on existing comp plan.
  • From here it will go to Zoning & Planning of Council committee then to full Council
  • May not have another opportunity for public comment unless there is an appeal (but need to double checking that info). (NOTE: Did confirm that this was likely the last public comment opportunity.)
  • Resident has been at Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (COW) meetings, and saw some of the architect presentations. Some on committee didn’t seem very well versed on the project. Felt like the traffic assumptions were not in line with reality. COW is an informal meeting of the Planning Commission.
  • City Public Works involved with project for moving of streets…assured that a ladder truck can fit and turn-around in response to concerns about emergency vehicle access in that area.
  • Assumptions that LRT will reduce traffic on Excelsior by 15% – but most agree that the opposite would happen. Actual access to transit is limited (only east-west) in the neighborhood, compounding the impact on these limited routes.
  • Who may live there does matter (will they have cars, are they working, do they have to buy/condo vs rent). This topic was dismissed in COW meetings as insignificant.
  • Affordable housing: this project has increased its commitment to address these concerns somewhat based on WCNC requests along with City Council’s office.
  • Any suggestions of how we may be able to sway this Planning Commission? Had some movement on affordability and the environment, but no movement on density and height. Traffic concerns need a voice.
  • Bader stated they can’t cut back on size and scope, but that if LRT does not come through, then changes would be needed. 2040 Plan seems to be based on LRT.
  • No family housing in the plan (limits that type of diversity).
  • We hope the development will provoke the county to fix the sidewalks on Excelsior.
  • Do they consider how the growth of St Louis Park affects us? Yes, the multi-modal study look at the full region.
  • Representatives at the meeting volunteered to speak at this public hearing on Monday, and will try to coordinate their efforts to maximize the messaging.
  • During the course of past planning commission meetings, big changes have happened. Approve about 80-85% of proposals.

2040 Plan

Best chance to impact change is right now through resident feedback. Next draft scheduled to available by the end of Sept.

Committee Reports:

Land Use:

  • Calhoun Tower project
  • 2040 – yard signs popping up by grassroots efforts of residents

Communications, Outreach, Events:

  • July newsletter – to print Wednesday morning
  • Movie (8/11 – Frozen) Ben & Jerry’s & Sweet Dreams Fair Favs, sponsored by Eli Johnson Realtor
  • Wine Tasting event (10/11)
  • Victoria – website; update, new navigation, logo, wants to do more user friendly: RFPs for redesign

Environment:

  • Minneapolis Green Teams – Tim has joined, and looking into Master Water Steward program
  • Stencilling – we would still like to move forward on this

Greenspace:

  • Landscape architect are still in discussions with Watershed District (regarding wetlands) hope we can have a proposal by September meeting if not sooner

Safety:

  • In conjunction with banners and traffic calming & neighborhood character
    Contest for beautification ideas (way to combine ideas and efforts)
  • Regular scheduling of traffic observations to be set with Steve from CIDNA (information passed on to others) and volunteers are always welcome and needed
    Recommendation to do a quarterly report or such and distribute more widely

Coordinator’s Report:

  • Wine event meeting tomorrow, will monitor email on vaca, next meeting September

New Business:

Adjourn 7:30pm

 

June 12, 2018 Minutes

Meeting Minutes

June 12, 2018

Attending board members: Allan Campbell, Richard Logan, Victoria Hoshal, John Bordwell, Lynette Davis, Jeff Idelkope, Michael Sanders, Annie Zager

16 residents

Absent:  (excused) Jennifer Davie ; (unexcused) Tim Musson, Martha Yunker

Called to order 6:04

President’s Report: Board committee sign-ups

Secretary’s Report: May elected board members approved

Treasurer’s Report: Reports emailed to board. A summary of earmarked dollars (approx $177k each towards two initiatives: green space enhancements and safety improvements) was given to those in attendance.

Committee Reports:

Safety:

  • Traffic calming
    • Banners – Annie has gotten several estimates, and requested a $10,000 budget to be able to continue to pursue installing light pole banners to help with traffic calming and place making in West Calhoun. Motion was approved.
      Details regarding the actual artwork will need to be verified with the City, so more on next steps to come. Suggestions of a design contest, business sponsorship, images of flowers or kids, as well as a tagline.
    • Carpooling – In response to the area’s congestion, we will promote the already existing Metro Transit program which helps connect people with others for carpooling opportunities
  • Concerns about sidewalk accessibility have been shared with the City and the County. The WCNC may be able to help fund a portion of a project along Excelsior. Waiting to hear back about options and timing.
  • Calhoun Commons traffic flow. We are working with the new management to re-direct traffic in/out via Excelsior Boulevard, rather than Market Plaza. Traffic on Market Plaza creates issues for the emergency vehicles, as well as other safety issues for bikes and pedestrians. Currently they have removed the confusing and unhelpful “access” signs. We will be working with City traffic planners as well to continue flow improvements.
  • 5:00 this Thursday Richard will be restarting traffic observations. All are welcome to come, as we restart this process.

Communications, Outreach, Events:

  • Neighborhood Happy Hour 5/3 at Urban Eatery
    Small turn out and didn’t draw any new people. May move back to Wakame. Recommend a topic for discussion. Evaluate best ways to promote (flyers, postcard mailing, social media).
  • July newsletter
    • list of committees and how to join / get involved
      • Volunteers to help with communications (web and FB)
    • carpooling program through Metro Transit
    • Movie
    • Wine event
    • status of development projects
  • Movie (8/11 – Frozen)
  • Wine Tasting event (10/11)

Land Use:

    • Calhoun Towers
      Recent public comments (including an editorial in the SWJ, and letters sent to those in office) were shared. The general feeling is that the City is so pro-density and development that resident concerns are not taken seriously. Safety concerns, about emergency vehicle access into this already dense/congested area were raised. Are there other opinions/experts who are able to help share these concerns? Victoria will contact her brother about his experience with FEMA. With the proposed LRT station, emergency access could be a real issue/concern.
    • 2040 discussion
      Public comment deadline is July 22. The board will work on a WCNC comment, but we encourage everyone to comment. If you choose to email comments, be sure to copy elected officials, etc. to broadcast these concerns to a wider net.

 

  • Update on hotel development Nothing to report. Believe developers are in negotiations with the County regarding the intersection. Current rumor is for a  groundbreaking in September.

 

  • Minikahda – Golf shop is to be replacement. The shop is categorized as an historic building, but the board felt if the club wanted to rebuild it, they had no issues with that and chose to do no official action.

Environment: No updates

Greenspace:

  • Park idea (brought forth by resident, Paul Legler) on county land at France and Lake St (near bus stop). With the growing population of children in that area in particular, and the lack of a neighborhood park, we will be asking our SW parks CAC representative to bring this request forward in the long term park planning.
  • Park dedication fees from current or proposed area development could help us towards larger green space improvements that we are still hoping to bring to fruition. Additionally, we still have our own NRP dollars as mentioned earlier.)
  • Bob Close/Julie Aldrich proposal (landscape architectural work). Needs watershed  district approval, as there is a wetland buffer requirement. We will be updated as soon as possible.

Coordinator’s Report:

  • 2040 info, wine event, communications, community engagement workshop

Officer Elections: A motion was made and seconded for the following nominations. All motions carried.

Chair – Allan Campbell
Vice Chair – Lynette Davis
Treasurer – Tim Musson
Secretary – Jennifer Davie

New Business: A questions was raised regarding  the repair or replacement of railroad ties next to the Greenway (near Cityhomes) and why this work was taking place. No one was sure.

Safety concerns were raised regarding emergency evacuation plans for the areas near the tracks. CIDNA resident, Claire Ruebeck, has detailed knowledge/awareness about this issue.

A resident raised concerns about branches blocking stop and yield signs. These are good situations to report to 311.

Adjourn 7:30pm

 

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council is Hiring

Neighborhood Coordinator

10-12 hours/week

West Calhoun Neighborhood Council works to help maintain a enjoyable and livable community. The all-volunteer board oversees the programming and activities for this Minneapolis neighborhood, and the coordinator works to support these efforts, with an emphasis on promoting community engagement.

Responsibilities

  • Serve as the main point of contact for the organization
    • Process phone and email messages
    • Maintain social network messaging
    • Act as liaison between residents, businesses, various groups, the City, and other stakeholders
  • Maintain all communications, including but not limited to:
    • Update the website on a regular basis
    • Produce eNews communications and promote sign-ups
    • Oversee production of quarterly printed newsletter (write/source articles, images, etc.)
  • Organize events
  • Attend relevant meetings, including monthly board meetings
    • Help produce and distribute monthly meeting agendas
    • Stay informed about topics and issues affecting the neighborhood
  • Manage and recruit volunteers
  • Support board and committee activities as needed
  • Collaborate with the Treasurer and accountant to ensure budgets are  maintained, financial reports are available, and proper legal paperwork is submitted
  • Other duties as assigned

Skills & Experience

  • Effective communication skills
  • Strong organization skills
  • Event planning and project management experience
  • Ability to work collaboratively and proactively
  • Ability to balance a variety of priorities
  • Enjoy working with diverse communities
  • Experience with grassroots organizing a plus
  • Nonprofit and volunteer board experience
  • Experience working with the City of Minneapolis, ideally with the NCR Department

Compensation

  • This is a contract position, renewable yearly upon board review
  • Pay $25-30/hour depending on qualifications

How to Apply

  • Send letter of interest, resume and three references to campbellallan3@gmail.com or mail to: West Calhoun Neighborhood Council, 3537 Zenith Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55416
  • Please put “West Calhoun Neighborhood Coordinator” in the subject line of your email
  • Position open until filled

Calhoun Towers Public Hearing 7/16/18

NOTICE OF A PUBLIC HEARING

ESG and Calhoun Development LLC have submitted the following applications to allow for a multi-phase development that includes the construction of four buildings with 739 residential units and the retention of a building with 113 residential units at 3403 and 3430 List Place & 3421 W Lake St in the R6/Multiple Family District and C3S/Community Shopping Center District:

  • Petition to rezone the properties located at 3421 West Lake Street from the C3S District to the R6 District.
  • Conditional use permit for a planned unit development.
  • Variance to reduce the front yard setback for the new buildings, balconies arbor structure, and transformers.
  • Variance to reduce the interior side yard setbacks for the new buildings and balconies.
  • Site plan review.
  • Preliminary and final plat.

The City Planning Commission will meet on Monday, July 16, 2018 at 4:30 p.m., in Room 317 City Hall, 350 S. 5th St., Minneapolis, MN.  Interested parties are invited to attend and be heard. Planning Department staff will issue a recommendation to the Planning Commission. After hearing from the public, the Planning Commission will make a determination based on required legal findings of fact. Please visit www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/planning for the agenda with staff reports (web page will be updated by the end of the day Wednesday prior to the meeting date).

In accordance with the Zoning Code, all property owners within 350 feet of the subject property are notified of this public hearing.  If you have questions about the project, please contact the City staff person listed below.  

Aaron Hanauer, Senior Planner – 250 South 4th Street Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone (612) 673-2494 E-mail: Aaron.Hanauer@minneapolismn.gov.

Jason Wittenberg,  Planning Manager – 250 South 4th Street Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone (612) 673-2297 E-mail: Jason.Wittenberg@minneapolismn.gov.

If you would like to submit comments, you can make them verbally at the meeting or submit them in writing to:

Lisa Kusz, Committee Clerk – 250 South 4th Street Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone (612) 673-2494  E-mail: Lisa.Kusz@minneapolis.mn.gov

The meeting site is wheelchair accessible; if you need other disability related accommodations, such as a sign language interpreter or materials in alternative format, please contact NCR@minneapolismn.gov or 612- 673-3737 (673-2157 TTY/VOICE) at least five days prior to the meeting.

PLAN6681