- 2040 Comprehensive Plan – see the plans, share your ideas and concerns, as the City creates the vision for Minneapolis’ future. The deadline for comments is July 22, 2018. You may comment directly on the plan’s website, but you can also send comments to your neighborhood council at firstname.lastname@example.org and to your city council member at email@example.com.
- Minneapolis for Everyone We’re concerned citizens and residents. Neighbors who want the best for all of our city’s neighborhoods. Homeowner and renters. Young and old. Like you, we want to see Minneapolis thrive and benefit all residents.
- Issue isn’t whether Minneapolis will grow, but how (Strib commentary from 6/26/18)
Minneapolis 2040: A plan was required, but plans have consequences (Strib commentary from 6/26/18)
- Neighborhoods 2020 – Neighborhoods 2020 is an opportunity to further develop and improve upon the City of Minneapolis’ neighborhood based engagement structure. Neighborhood organizations are by the people, for the people. Join the Neighborhoods 2020 mailing list!
- Minneapolis Zero Waste – Zero waste means setting a new standard for how we as a society view and treat waste. The goal of zero waste programs is to reduce—and eventually eliminate—what we discard in landfills and incinerators.
- Small Business Resources – Regular meeting schedule, upcoming dates, Business Portal and more.
Proposed New Developments
Calhoun Towers Approved by City Planning Commission
On July 16th the City Planning Commission, over objections from the West Calhoun Neighborhood Council and residents, approved Bader Development’s plans to build 744 residential units in two 26-story towers and two 6-story apartment buildings adjacent to the current Calhoun Tower on List Place. The project is to be built over a 5-7 year time frame and would be adjacent to the proposed (but still not funded) West Lake light rail station.
In its statements to the Planning Commission the West Calhoun Neighborhood Council asked for a reduction in the scale of the project in view of the inadequate road and public transit infrastructure serving the neighborhood as well as the continuing uncertainty about the light rail line. Links to documents concerning the project can be found below:
- WCNC November 2017 Minutes (Calhoun Towers presentation)
- Calhoun Towers Proposal
- WCNC Calhoun Towers Proposal Response
- Bader Response to Comments on Calhoun Towers Plan
- Star Tribune article (1/9/18)
- Calhoun Towers Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW) (2/18) Appendices (2/18)
- WCNC EAW Comments (4/18)
- WCNC comments to the Zoning & Planning Committee (5/3)
- Resident comments regarding density from May meeting (5/8)
- WCNC follow up questions and requests to Bader Dev (5/28)
July 16 – Planning Commission public hearing on:
- Petition to rezone the properties located at 3421 West Lake Street from the C3S District to the R6 District.
- Conditional use permit for a planned unit development.
- Variance to reduce the front yard setback for the new buildings, balconies arbor structure, and transformers.
- Variance to reduce the interior side yard setbacks for the new buildings and balconies.
- Site plan review.
- Preliminary and final plat.
Boutique Hotel at Lake/Excelsior
Elevage Development Group is proposing to build a 100-room hotel with 20 condo units, a restaurant and 107 enclosed parking spaces on the BP gas station site at the corner of Lake and Excelsior. The developer is currently negotiating road changes with the county and will need to hold a preliminary development review with the City before applying for permits.
- WCNC January 2018 Minutes (ESG & EDG presentation)
- Southwest Journal article (1/10/18)
Southwest Area Parks Planning
Pedestrian Safety Project
- Lake and Excelsior one sheet – proposed pedestrian safety improvements
- Map of proposed pedestrian safety improvements
Skate Park Activity Plan page link